Facts About Honey Bees
Posted on August 12, 2014 /
- There are three types of bees in the hive – Queen, Worker and Drone.
- The queen may lay 600-800 or upto 1,500 eggs each day during her 3 or 4 year lifetime. This daily egg production may equal her own weight. She is constantly fed and groomed by attendant worker bees.
- Honey bees can fly at up to 15 miles per hour.
- Honey bees’ wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, thus making their distinctive buzz.
- Honey bees are the only insect that produce food for humans.
- Honey bees will usually travel approximately 3 miles from their hive.
- Honey bees are the only bees that die after they sting.
- Honey bees are responsible for pollinating approx. 80% of all fruit, vegetable, and seed crops in the U.S.